Looking for something? Search my blog here!

About Me

My photo
I was born in Mesa and lived in both Arizona and Utah. I attended four different high schools and moved back to Mesa my senior year. I love to travel and explore; I studied abroad in England, Scotland and France and had a blast. Music and writing drive me. I am a hard worker, when I am motivated to be. I am a passionate girl who loves people. I love friends but I also love my quiet time. Most importantly, I love to Love. I am a writer, an educator, a learner, an explorer and yes, a Mormon. I am blessed and I love my life. I am currently serving a mission for the Lord through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Italy until January of 2016.

My motto

My Motto
Love and Be Loved

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Elementary Math post six: Mr. Mean and Friends

The mean is the average of a set of numbers. It is a general number that equals out all of the other numbers. To find it, you add all of the numbers together and divide that by the total number of numbers.
The standard deviation is a measure of how spread out numbers are.
The median is the number in the center of data numbers when ordered form least to greatest. If the amount of numbers in the data is even, then you add the two numbers together to get the average and that is the median.
The mode is the number that appears most often within a data set.
The range is simply the scale of how many numbers you are working with. Subtract the smallest number from the largest number.

We learned about these concepts in my math class. They are pretty useful when working with statistics and numbers. They may sound scary, but really they aren't. They are practical and very useful, especially as a teacher. Below I am just going to give a data set and an example of each of the five answers. All can be found on a TI graphing calculator so if you are a teacher, I would recommend looking into that.

Example

The following scores are what students in the class earned on their test: 71, 98, 93, 42, 78, 82, 100, 91, 83, 85, 71, 73, 64, 68, and 55.
The mean is 76.93
The standard deviation is 16.02
The median is 78.
The mode is 71.
The range is 58.

A Great explanation

4 comments:

  1. love the handwriting in your blog, makes it seem a little friendlier:) great use of links, makes it a lot easier for me to access them:) hope you get a good grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    I love the title of this post. It is really something an early educator would do when teaching their kids. Makes it sound fun and like something that they would like. And same as Haley, I love the text you used, I wish Wordpress would like us change ours.

    -Courtney Keisling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so cute and colorful! I love all the changes you made to make things look pretty! And the math stuff....that's good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love how you did the example at the end and said it could all be done on a TI Graphing calculator. It allows others to experiment and see if they get the same results as you did. It was all easy to read and flowed nicely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete